My Northern Project 2022
Call for participants
Institut nordique du Québec invites Master's and doctoral students conducting research on northern or Arctic themes, to participate in the My Northern Project science popularisation competition.
A place in the international final of the competition, which takes place in Iceland during the Arctic Circle Assembly, one of the most important international meetings for dialogue and cooperation on the future of the Arctic. On May 10, 2022, a committee will select between 4 and 6 candidates to take part in the international final. Please note that the travel and accommodation expenses of the students are covered by the Institut nordique du Québec and its partners.
- Launch of the call for applications by INQ - February 15, 2022
- Deadline for applications - April 4, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Evaluation of applications received by the evaluation committee - April 5 – 9, 2022
- Announcement of the ten winning entries - April 12, 2022
- Provincial final of the competition in Québec City - May 10, 2022
- International Final at the Arctic Circle Assembly - October 2022
*We plan to hold the regional final in person, following health regulations in force in May 2022. However, it is possible that the final may be held by video conference.
To be eligible for the My Northern Project competition, you must:
- Be enrolled in a master's* or doctoral program at one of INQ's member institutions
- Work on a research project on a northern theme (Canadian Arctic and territory covered by the Plan Nord)
*Note that to participate in the competition, master's students must have completed the analysis of their field data.
2. Presentation guidelines
- Presentation must be 5 minutes in length
- Presentation must be accompanied by visual aids (eg. PowerPoint ) comprised of a maximum of 10 slides without animations
- Presentation and visual aids must be in French for the Québec competition
3. Application file
The application file must include the following elements:
- Student's complete name
- Email address
- Affiliated university
- Program of study (please indicate if you are a master's or doctoral student)
- Letter of recommendation from research supervisor (see the model)
- Title of research project
- Project summary (300 words)
4. Submitting your application
- Deadline to submit your application: April 4, 2022 ,11:59 pm
- Send your application to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For any questions, please contact Andréanne Bernatchez, INQ Communications Officer (email@example.com)
International final and participation at the Arctic Circle Assembly
Since 2017, the international final of the My Northern Project science popularisation contest has been held within the framework of the Arctic Circle Assembly, one of the most important international meetings for dialogue and cooperation on the future of the Arctic. During the final of the competition, Quebec students must take the stage and captivate the audience by presenting their northern research project in layman's terms and in English. To do so, the finalists have an maximum of five minutes and 10 slides without animation to support their presentation. Five students, selected from other Arctic countries will join the competition. Members of the on-site audience will be asked to vote for their favourite presentation and thus determine the international laureate of My Northern Project.
The Québec delegation at Arctic Circle Assembly
In order to consolidate the province's international network of northern and Arctic partners and maintain Quebec's position as a key player in the field, Quebec sends a delegation to the Arctic Circle Assembly every year. The Quebec finalists selected for the international final of the My Northern Project competition are integrated into this delegation and take part in its activities. For these students, it is an exceptional opportunity to understand the role of such a delegation while discovering the behind-the-scenes activities at a major international gathering from which a multitude of scientific collaborations arise.
Note that the students' accommodation and travel expenses are covered by the Institut nordique du Québec and its partners.